How to Create a Landing Page that Converts
A great meal is cooked with a great recipe. Same is the case with your landing pages. If you are applying a recipe of curd rice, you cannot expect it to taste like biryani.
Landing pages are one of the most important elements of lead generation. Despite this most companies do not give it the due weightage, instead they give more importance to the website´s homepage. After all, the homepage is the first impression of your website.
However, according to some studies the average conversion from a website is typically between 1% to 3% which is way too less. Then why do businesses rely on homepage for conversions?
Have a landing page!
Do you want to know why?
A landing page provides a targeted platform for converting maximum visitors into leads. It contains the right message for your target audience. But not all landing pages convert, and the reason is poor design thinking.
While creating a good landing page is not a rocket science - but it does take some thoughts.
Let us check out the essential elements to build a perfect landing page.
5 Tips to Create a Landing Page
Before you even start putting together your landing page, you need to first determine what you want to achieve - whether you want people to subscribe to your blog, newsletter, or you want to market a new product or service? Promote an offer on a subscription?
Once your objective is clear, you need to decide what your message will be. In other words, if the purpose of your landing page is to increase blog subscription you need to think how your blog will help your users or how it will solve their problems.
Now that the message is in place start your keyword research. Find out what keywords your users type when they are searching for solutions to the problem that your product, service or subscription can solve?
So, now your goal, message and keywords are finalized, it´s time to decide the conversion elements you want to have on your landing page like CTA, lead form, a video or an infographic may be.
With everything in place, you can start designing your landing page.
Ingredients for A Perfect Landing Page Design
1. Headline – A headline is the first thing you can use to arouse interest, grab attention and improve understanding. It induces a user to stay and learn more about your offerings. Here is what your headline needs to do:
- It should be catchy enough to hold your user’s interest
- It should be direct and straightforward. Your headline should clearly tell your users about the product and service you are selling
- The headline should be crisp. It should be between 10-15 words
It is important to note that if your headline is supplementing your image, then you can keep your copy short – no need to give details.
2. Images and Videos – Visual content is the most important ingredient of a landing page. This is because a human brain processes pictures 60,000 times faster than a page full of text. This means images have the power to grab user attention almost quickly. You need to keep few things in mind while using images on your landing page:
- The image should be high-quality and large. It should not be pixelated or blur
- The photo should be relevant to your product or service. If possible, you can create demo videos to showcase the USP of your product or service
- The media should demonstrate your real service or product. Do not use dummy or photoshopped visuals
3.CTA – A powerful call to action button is an essential element of a high converting landing page design. In fact, this is the element that can lead to conversions. Hence, you need to be careful and act smartly while creating a CTA button. A good CTA button is one that stands out in terms of colour, size, and most importantly the message. Here are a few things to note while creating a powerful CTA.
- Avoid using plain bland text like ‘Contact Us.’ Instead be creative and use a crisp yet catchy text for CTA like ‘Get in Touch’ or ‘Start A Trial’
- Use bold colours and slightly bigger text font for your CTA to grab larger eyeballs – the bigger, the better
Make sure you are not using colours that have already been used on your page. Choose a contrast or hard-to-miss colour
One of the best examples:
Look at the CTA text, and how this button is contrasting red, which stands out from the greys and whites of its surroundings. The message is too crisp yet conveying clearly.
4. Guarantee – A guarantee, regardless of what it is can help people feel good about your brand while they are on your landing page. It improves the chances of conversion. Here is what you need to consider:
- Guarantee can be anything that is relevant to your business. For instance, 100% no spam guarantee, 100% satisfaction, money-back guarantee
- Guarantee should not always be extreme. You can go easy and guarantee quality customer support, security guarantee and so on
- Always place your guarantee close to the CTA so that it comes in your customer’s notice immediately
Modes of contact – A good landing page is one that allows you to contact them anytime and through multiple modes. Hence, while designing your landing page don’t forget to add contact mediums – some businesses give contact numbers, email addresses, office address and some even have popups where a customer support executive asks if they can be of help, live support chat. This shows you business is legit;this gives your customer an assurance and you can win their loyalty.
The Bottom Line
A highly converting landing page is where you can generate business and revenue. This is the place where most action happens. Hence, keep these important landing page design strategies in mind to increase your conversions.
Obviously, creating a best landing page is no rocket science if you are aware of the best practices.